Welcome to the Cornhill-on-Tweed Community Website
The village of Cornhill lies on the Scottish Border, approximately 1½ miles from Coldstream, and so is on the northerly edge of Northumberland. It was in ancient times known as Cornell. The parish carries the same name and incorporates Old and New Heaton and Tillmouth. The river Tweed runs eastward about a mile from the village, where there is an eighteenth century bridge with a span of five arches over the river. Agriculture plays a part here, with a rich soil that supports diverse crops such as turnips, beans, and a variety of grains.
Cornhill was, for political purposes, part of the county of Durham, but in 1844 by act of parliament was separated from it and then joined with Northumberland. The Anglican St. Helen's Church is dedicated to St. Helen, the mother of Constantine the Great, the first Christian Emperor. Legend says that it was erected in 1082AD, because Norham had become the property of Durham Cathedral. It has undergone rebuilding and restoration work both in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with the bell tower being added in 1840. The Church could boast a harmonium by 1856, when the choir was created. In addition to this, the rectory held a lending library of 300 volumes. There have been several gifts bestowed upon this church by the Earls and Countesses of Home, including stained glass windows, an organ, and a new font.
A school was raised in 1837, for the education of both boys and girls following the national system. The master's house was constructed in 1860, the land for both buildings being given by the Collingwoods. The school was enlarged and improved in 1868 at a cost of nearly £200. The school was closed however in 2012.
(Information supplied by Northumberland Communities NCC)
Radio Borders "Happy-Street"
For "Happy Street" Events in Cornhill click: HERE (PDF)
New LED Lamppost Information
for Cornhill-on-Tweed and Donaldson's Lodge
Responses to Residents LED Questionnaires for Cornhill & Donaldson's Lodge
Available HERE (Opens as PDF)
Street Lighting Costs for Additional Items
Available HERE (Opens as PDF)
River Tweed Footpath Re-opens
As long-standing residents of Cornhill may know, the footpath alongside the river on the south side of Coldstream Bridge has been a favourite walk for many years. Some time ago, the access gate was locked and entry forbidden, leading to many walkers questioning why this should be. Due to negotiations by the Parish Council Chairman, Cornhill residents have now been given permission to use this path again, provided they leave no litter and that they pick up after their dogs. The nearest litter bin, which can also be used for bagged dog poo, is situated in the lay-by on the A697 road between Cornhill and Coldstream Bridge.The field gate will continue to be locked, and access to the path may be obtained via the gap in the wall on the opposite side of the road and under the bridge.
Signed: Angela Hallam-Baker (Clerk to Cornhill Parish Council)
READ FULL DETAILS HERE (PDF)