St Helen's Church
The "First and Last" Church in England
St Helen's Church is open daily for residents and tourists to visit, please come and take a look at our lovely church.
If you would like to join us for a service, the times are below.
St Helen's Church resides in the Parish of Cornhill-on-Tweed and has sister churches at Carham and Branxton.
The governance of the church in Northumberland emanated from Durham.
Norham was one of the principal parishes, with Cornhill as a Chapel of Ease. Nevertheless, there has been a church at Cornhill since Saxon times. Local legend has it that when the church was enlarged in 1840, the body of an 8ft man was found buried under the nave.
The Parish Church of St Helen’s Cornhill was enlarged, re-pewed and repaired in 1840.
On 20 June 1866 the Foundation Stone of a Chancel for Cornhill Church was laid, the chancel was first used on 23 December of the same year. The Countess of Home presented to the Church a handsome new font.
Beautiful kneeling cushions were worked by 11 ladies of the congregation.
A memorial window to the late Mrs Dickins (nee Collingwood) was put up on 5 February 1868, and another window was added afterwards. The Church was re-pewed with open seats during 1869 as well as re-floored, dry rot having seriously affected the joists underneath as well as the flooring. At the same time, the Harmonium was repaired and tuned.
A Lectern was added in 1870
St Helen (Helena, Ellen) lived from about 249-329 A.D. She is thought to have come from Drepanum, in the Roman province of Bithynia, because her son, the Emperor Constantine, renamed Drepanum Helenopolis after her.
She is credited with finding the cross on which Jesus was crucified.
HELP US TO PAY TRIBUTE TO 13 SONS OF THE VILLAGE WHO DIED DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR
This year marks the centenary of the Battle of the Somme. We have not yet been able to prove that any son of the village died in the battle, although one, JR Reid was wounded on 5 July 1916 while serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers.Subsequently he was declared missing in action on 3 May 1917.
Early research suggests that two more of the thirteen people named on the War Memorial died on the same day (3 May 1917), although they were serving in the King’s Own Scottish Borderers
John Dalgleish has been positively identified as being Killed in Action in Gallipoli on 12 July 1915, aged 24, when serving with the King’s Own Scottish Borderers
We installed an exhibition in the Church in the weeks prior to
Remembrance Sunday on 13 November
Have you got some time to help with further research?
If so, contact Eric Grounds on 01890 850616 or
St Helen's Church Service Times